Today we have several very important announcements and reminders from the English Department:
It is with sadness that we have learned of the death of M.A. in English student Warren Scheideman, a faculty member in the School for New Learning. Warren passed away on August 25. He was a very enthusiastic student of literature who was pursuing a life long dream of obtaining an MAE. He taught at DePaul from 1984 until his passing, and was highly respected among his friends and colleagues.
News on Degree Progress Reports
The Degree Progress Reports for graduate students in LA&S are in the process of being updated and should be completed by the end of the year. We have been working with Nora Durkin, the Associate Director of Graduate Student Services, to provide information that will make the DPRs an accurate representation of a student’s academic career and a trustworthy tool for Degree Conferral audits.
In the meantime, if you were admitted to the either the MAE or the MAWP before 2009, please continue to contact Jan Hickey during the quarter previous to the one in which you plan to apply for degree conferral so that she can check your Unofficial Transcript to confirm that you have completed your degree requirements.
- If you were admitted to either the MAE or MAWP before 2009, continue to contact Jan Hickey firstname.lastname@example.org for a degree conferral review of your Unofficial Transcripts.
- If you were admitted to either the MAE or MAWP after 2009, you can use your DPR to monitor your progress toward degree completion.
Other updates from the LA&S Graduate Student Services Office:
- Look for the new quarterly LA&S Graduate Student Services Newsletter which should be appearing later this quarter.
- There soon will be online forms for English 500 The Independent Study, English 501 Thesis and English 509 Internship. More information on this can be found in the upcoming first issue of the LA&S Graduate Student Services Newsletter.
- Please remember that the Final Requirements form, for students completing a thesis, is a separate form from those listed above.
Graduate Research Fund
“The Graduate Research Funding (GRF) Program has been created to support DePaul Graduate students in their pursuit of research and scholarship. The GRF program provides research funds to the college’s graduate student population who contribute importantly to the academic rigor of our programs.” Please see the attachment for more information: http://las.depaul.edu/WebMedia/Research/pdfs/GRFApplication.pdf
Two upcoming Career Center events will cater specifically to English Students, and all MAE and MAWP grad students are encouraged to attend.
Wednesday, Nov. 2nd, from 5:30-6:30 p.m. in SAC 151- Career Workshop for English Students: Writing Cover Letters & Resumes
Wednesday, Nov. 9th, from 6-7:30 in the Dorothy Day Room #400 of the LPC Library- Career Panel for English Students featuring Betsy Crist, Lisa Spengler, Perrin Davis, and Chris Green.
And finally a reminder of three events happening TONIGHT Thursday, Oct. 27th:
– 6:00p.m. Tom Montgomery Fate reading at the DePaul Art Museum
-8:00-10:00p.m. Presenters of Enlightenment Through Spoken word poetry present Breaking the Sound Barrier: Poetry Against Gang Violence and the Code of Silence
-9:00p.m. EGSA Halloween Party at Will’s Northwoods Inn, all MAE and MAWP students welcome!